Cinema Shame. Year 2.
The criteria for this second round of penitence featured a few new quirks. I didn’t watch Deer Hunter or Texas Chainsaw Massacre so they’ll carry over to 2015. In 2014, I only picked films that I felt I *should* have watched… not necessarily ones I thought I’d like and should have watched. I’m trying to balance those two flavors like Vanilla and Orange. Not only that, I’m taking into account recommendations of friends and Twitter acquaintances. That’s a lot to balance. This list looks a lot less weighty than last years… and I’m okay with that.
1. A Hard Day’s Night (Beatles/Criterion Shame!)
2. Take the Money and Run (Woody Allen Shame!)
3. What’s Up, Doc? (Bogdanoshame!)
4. Ride the High Country (Peckinpahah Shame!)
5. The Warriors (Cult-cred Shame!)
6. The Guns of Navarone (Essential War Shame!)
7. Big Heat (Noir Shame!)
8. Fellini Satyricon (Fellini/Soon-on-Criterion Shame!)
9. Ikiru (Kurosawa/Criterion Shame!)
10. Five Easy Pieces (Everyone-Told-Me-I-Need-To-Watch-It Shame!)
11. Deer Hunter (Old Shame!)
12. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Old Shame!)
13. Saturday Night Fever (Jive Talkin’ Shame!)
14. Lawrence of Arabia (all in one sitting)
15. Viridiana (Bunuel Shame!)
There you have it… again. I’ve laid my soul bare. Now all that’s left is the shame, the penance… and eventually the salvation.